Meet Walter from Amazon

Meet one of our most recent graduates, Walter Longoria. First and foremost, Walter is a God-fearing believer in Christ Jesus and a devoted family man with a wife and five children. Walter attended our class after being referred by a trusted colleague, who works with him at Amazon. Through a career program, his tuition was nearly 100% paid for by his employer. 

We are so fortunate to have the opportunity to work with Walter and we’re thankful he was kind enough to share with us a bit about his personal and professional journey, including his training experience at Brooke and his exciting journey moving forward with his career. 

Here’s a little about his journey thus far:

Since the age of 19, I have been in Management and my career has been the most remarkable journey that one could ever imagine. Prior to this journey, I was a 3-time 9th-grade champ and the only reason I graduated from the 9th grade to the 10th was that I was getting too old. 

I eventually dropped out and earned my G.E.D. 14-years-later, I earned my Associates in Applied Science. Next semester, 20-years-later, I will earn my Bachelors in Finance. Understand that during my professional journey, I have been successful all the way through while pursuing my academic credentials. I had my failures along the way, but mostly successes because of determination.

What have been the biggest challenges thus far in your
professional career? 

I believe my biggest challenge is finding something that I feel really passionate about. Finding a skill that will allow me just a little more time to spend with my little ones. I really think I have found what I was looking for through Brooke's Training.  I really want to be good at this.


What are you looking forward to in your professional future?

I am the type of person who believes that hard work and drive always pay off. I was taught to learn to follow my instinct and to always be flexible in re-strategics. I am following my instincts with the logistics and transportation field. I want to finish my Bachelors in Finance and maybe on a part time basis pursue my masters in economics. I am really excited about learning, working hard for it, and seeing the blessing that this career can offer for me and my family.

What inspired you to train at Brooke? 

He (referral source) told me that there was a lot of money to be made in the field. It was another skill that I could use in the meantime while looking for other opportunities.  After taking the class, I had envisioned myself actually doing this--specializing in it and being successful.

What was the process getting approved through
 Amazon to train with us?

All you have to do is apply on the hub.amazon.work and click into resources to find the "Career Choice" tab. Find out what school (Brooke Transportation) you are wanting to attend and the person in charge of that school. Amazon will then communicate with the person in charge for the school.  Once approved, Amazon will pay 95% in advance and the student will pay the other 5%.  It really is a very simple process.


How will training at Brooke further your career with Amazon or in general?

Strategically, I wanted to pick up logistic and transportation knowledge and training--because I needed to know how it all worked if I wanted to pursue a general manager position with Amazon. I didn't realize that I stumbled upon what I was truly looking for and that was a skill that will free me up from ever having to literally clock in for work. I always knew that there was a fortune to be made the logistic and transportation arena but didn't know what skill I needed to tap into it--Until, Brooke Transportation.


How could other Amazon employees benefit from training at Brooke?

For one, realize what they just learned and what it can do for their future--like it affected me. Second, it gives a clear understanding of how the shipper interacts with drivers and receivers of products.  Freight forwarding is another position that Amazon has in their workflow.


How was your experience training with us?

It was an eye-opening eureka moment.  I felt I was there for a reason. All the events and the people that I interacted with at that school--felt like out-of-the-blue, it was exactly what I was looking for. The most valuable thing I took away was that problem-solving in this field was nowhere near the problem solving I experience at Amazon. While people literally run from problems, my job was to run to them.

 How was your experience working with the team at
 Brooke?

I see why they were chosen to be part of Brooke's team.  They are very knowledgeable and showed sincerity towards getting us prepared to pursue this field

What advice do you have for others who are
considering training at Brooke?

I would advise taking a lot of notes and participating in the role-playing and actual calls that you make while in class so you can get a feel of what it is that you will have to do when launching out on your own.



Thank you so much, Walter, for taking the time to share your personal story with us and our community. You are a source of inspiration for others, in your character, passion, perseverance, and determination. God Bless.  


Moving forward,


Jeff Roach
214-206-1169

No comments: