Buy American

I saw a report on the news last night about how few American made products an average American family actually buys. It took the reporter two hours just to find a totally made-in-America coffee maker. They reported an incredible statistic that if we each bought 18 cents more in American products 200,000 more jobs would be necessary to fill that need. Not sure if I got the numbers exactly right but at any rate it indicated that I can help in job creation by paying a bit more for the American made product. It motivated me to at least think about checking my labels more often and buying the American product more often.

I then thought about how that affects the transportation industry. More manufacturing in America would require more American truckers to move the products and more America freight brokers to organize the effort.

I realize that is a simplistic view of the world economy but it is something I can get my head around. By buying American we keep more American’s working. We are a very wealthy society in world terms; even the poorest among us are incredibly blessed. Yet we are obsessed with the bargain.

I know that I can afford to buy American and still support other countries with struggling economies. So that is what I am going to try to do.

I noticed Chi (they make hair straighteners) recently moved their manufacturing back to America (Houston actually) so even though I have no hair I’m thinking about going out to buy a Chi.

What American companies do you know of that you can support and help get America back to being more productive?

Moving forward,

Jeff Roach
www.brooketransportation.com
www.justintimefreight.com
www.pajamalearning.biz

No comments: