What are the Fuel Formulas?

One of my online students asked me a tough question: How can I take the EIA fuel info and figure out how everyone comes up with the Fuel price for that week? I had to think about that one. The truth of the matter is I really don't have a clue. I do know companies use several formulas but they all change weekly. A large company like Landstar will have different data than a small broker who has four or five employees. Landstar is a multi-billion dollar broker. They most likely have an entire department to handle this assignment.

Since you can easily find this fuel surcharge info on most load boards and even on our site I never bothered to learn the formula.

One of my math savvy customers figures out the fuel costs. She sends it to my web master. We update weekly on www.brooketraining.com You can also track LTL shipments from the website.

So all that is to say this is the first time in my career that I could use some kind of advanced math. My artistic kids have been telling me they do not need math. I have been telling them yes you do, but put a gun to my head, I could not do this formula LOL.

I suggested my student call my customer who understands the fuel formulation. We were all impressed with my student's need for detail. With that kind of tenacity this student will surely make it in this business.

My elearning students experience a narrative learning experience. They watch, read and listen to modules that are entertaining and very detailed. We discuss anything they want to help them get the education and then I do my best to help them reach their goals. It is a blast. I love teaching on-line. www.justintimefreight.com This e-course was a year a half in development with a Team of Experts. I am amazed at the course. I get the chance to meet eager, intelligent, thoughtful students on line This young lady is going to make some broker a great agent. She wants to know everything and I love it.

Moving forward,

Jeff Roach

No comments: