Use Your Ears

I heard this great sales reminder on aol news.


“I can't remember who told me this, but I certainly didn't grow up knowing it, so I must have gotten this advice at Salomon Brothers in the 1970s.

The advice was, first, always ask for the order, and second, when the customer says yes, stop talking.

The worst advice that people can take is to react before they've had a chance to think. I think we all say things and wish we hadn't said them. Ready, shoot, aim is not the smartest policy.”

-Mayor of New York City, founder of Bloomberg LP”

One of the great things about having to pitch a lot before you make a sale is your approach gets better and better…if you learn from each experience. Some of my greatest sales were the easiest because I let the customer talk, while I listen intently… thus demonstrating that my desire is to understand and respond to their need not “mark another notch on my belt” with forceful selling. Learn when to stop flapping those gums and you will reap the benefits.

Moving forward,

Jeff Roach - President
Brooke Transportation Training Solutions
jroach@transportationtraining.com
www.transportationtraining.com
www.brooketraining.com
www.justintimefreight.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's important to pay attention to the customer. You've already obtained the sale - now it's time to deliver on those promises.