Chunk it

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.

Mark Twain from Zig Ziglar.com

I get a daily quote from Zig Ziglar (my hero) that inspires me. This quote from Mark Twain is so true. I break my stuff into small manageable tasks and try to do the one I don’t want to do first. It amazes me how free I feel when I get that undesirable job done or the one that I’ve been putting off the longest or the one I’m likely not to do if I don’t jump on it first thing (like exercise).

When my kiddos were learning to read their teacher used the term “chunk it” when they got to a “big” word. It is hard to remember when some words were overwhelming, but to a 5 year old a word longer that 3 letters can be quite daunting. Chunk it meant simply dividing the word up into parts and trying to pronounce each part then put it all together. I remember very vividly my daughter slowly pronouncing each sound of each letter then trying to say them fast to figure out what the word was. For “Cat” she’d say Ka – AH – Ta many times with a frowed brow then finally her light bulb would go on, she’d get this amazing look on her face and correctly say “cat”.

So remember when your 50 calls or finding a truck for a load seems unmanageable. Break it up into one call at a time knowing each call is worth money in the long run because each call is that much closer to a sale.

Moving forward,

Jeff Roach
www.brooketraining.com

No comments: